There is an enormous amount of information online about greywater usage and its effects on our garden so this page will just provide some of the basics of it’s use and provide valuable links to the excellent websites with comprehensive information on the topic
At Smart Water Shop, we carry a wide range of greywater products.
Following is a simple direct extract from the EPA website on the Dos and Donts of Greywater use:
- Only use wastewater from baths, showers, hand basins and washing machines (preferably the final rinse water).
- Only use greywater on the garden and rotate which areas you water.
- Only apply enough water that the soil can absorb.
- Wash your hands following watering with greywater.
- Stop using greywater during wet periods.
- Stop using greywater if odours are generated and plants do not appear to be healthy.
- Water vegetable gardens if the crop is to be eaten raw or uncooked.
- Use greywater that has faecal contamination, for example wastewater used to launder nappies.
- Use kitchen wastewater (including dishwashers) due to the high concentration of food wastes and chemicals that are not readily broken down by soil organisms.
- Store greywater for more than 24 hours.
- Let children or pets drink or play with greywater.
- Allow greywater to flow from your property or enter stormwater systems.
FOR FURTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION ON THE USE OF GREYWATER PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW: